Latest APC News
Please find below some of the key events and changes that you should be aware of for your APC final assessment. Please note that this is a non-exhaustive list and you are strongly encouraged to read the news section of the RICS website.
Free Resources on the APC process and competencies
Please head over to our blog APC Tips for free information on the APC process and competency requirements.
- Sean Tompkins, CEO of the RICS, and Kath Fontana, President of the RICS, have both resigned from their position following the publication of the Levitt review.
- The President Elect Clement Lau is the new President of the RICS with immediate effect.
- Please read the complete statement on the RICS website.
- Following ongoing issues with ARC, the submission window for the construction pathways (UK) has been changed to 01 – 15 October 2021.
- New RICS publications for 2021.
- RICS Professional Guidance: Subcontracting (Procurement and tendering + Contract Practice)
- RICS Professional Guidance: Change Control and Management (Project Finance (QS) / Managing Projects (PM))
- RICS Professional Statement (= mandatory): Cost Prediction (Design Economics – Use of ICMS is mandatory to collect cost data and prepare benchmarking exercises.)
- Consultation on the draft International Cost Management Standard, 3rd edition (ICMS 3).
- ICMS is a standardised International methodology to collect and process cost data for benchmarking purposes.
- ICMS 3 is proposed to incorporate sustainability and whole life costing more robustly in benchmarking.
- Mandatory for all quantity surveyors (Design Economics and Cost planning).
- The Fire Safety Act 2021, which amends the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, came in force on 29th April 2021.
- You can read the RICS comments here.
- You will find further resources on the RICS Fire Safety Hub.
- Please be also aware of the International Fire Safety Standards
- Defining our Future: 2021 RICS consultation
- You are not going to be asked about it at the interview but, if you have some spare time, you could have a quick read. Section 3 relates to potential APC changes.
- The outcomes of the consultation can be found here.
- New RICS Professional Statement: Home Survey Standard
- Mandatory for all Building Surveyor from 1st March 2021. Please make sure that you know what has changed.
- You should also be familiar with the 2020 Hart v Large neglicence case.
- MUST KNOW FOR YOUR APC!!!!
- Draft Professional Statement: Statement of ethical principles and Rules of Conduct
- The rules of conduct for firms and members are both merging with the 5 professional and ethical standards.
- The purpose is to align with the International Ethics Standards
- Amendments to the NEC 4.
- Please click here to read what has changed.
- This is essential knowledge for NEC users. If you are a JCT user, you do not need to study these changes unless you have mentioned in your summary of experience that you know the NEC 4.